Friday, January 20, 2006

Bo Bice - Sold out...

No.. not his concerts, although he may have sold out those as well... I'm talking about his debut CD... Yup.. I just got my copy of his new cd "The Real Thing"... first I plugged the dual-disc into my dvd player and watched the video - nice job I must say... you get to follow him along on a shopping trip in New York - seems like a very down to earth, regular guy makes good, story...

I then listened to the 3 tracks that were on the dvd but not on the cd... nice.. Love the "Sinner in a Sin" track.. now this is the Bo we came to love on Idol.. a lovely southern rock ballad... NICE.. "Whiskey, Women & Time", a little heavy on the piano, but rockin' just the same... "Cinnamon & Novocaine" a little too 'pop' for me, but he manages to make it interesting with his vocals... If this is the quality of the cd side we're in for a treat.. without further ado I popped the disc into my computer and ripped the disc to mp3's and loaded 'em up to my player...

Plugging in my earbuds I listened with much anticipation... as soon as the first track hit me my immediate reaction was "Who the hell put Bon Jovi on my mp3 player?"... Now to my credit I thought this even before I read the liner notes and found that one of the songs was indeed written by Jon Bon Jovi... and every single track follows the same line... Bo sings POP... Sheesh...

You know.. I'm gonna put this down to the producer's idea of what we want out of Bo Bice... and you know what Clive Davis? Your WRONG.. wrong.. wrong... If I wanted Bon Jovi I would purchase Bon Jovi... I entered my credit card info for some good ole Southern Rock... not some New Jersey Pop Hair Band...

Ok.. So Bo sold out... not that I can blame him... you got someone willing to give you your chance and they own you.. you do what they want and you sell it... The whole thing just stinks... so... I guess I'll wait till he can come out with a cd that is more inline with what he stands for... some good old gritty Zeppelin/Allman grooves...

Now I just have to figure out how to get those 3 great tracks off the dvd side and onto my mp3 player so the album won't be a total loss... My advice.. skip the debut and wait for the follow up album where hopefully Bo will be Bo and not something some out-of-touch, get-over-yourself, producer thinks he should be...

Later...

No comments: