Sunday, July 24, 2005

New England Adventures...

Well.. it was quite the New England Adventure yesterday... from a Mountain top to a Lake.. I saw and did it all.. Yeah me... the computer geek again found herself on top of a Western Mass mountain! This time it was lovely Mt. Tom... other than quick trips over the top o' the mountain from Easthampton to Springfield and back I don't think I've spent any time on the mountain (we won't count the time spent at conferences at the Log Cabin)since I hiked the 7 sisters in 6th grade with my friend's family... (Barb W. - if your out there give me a comment! I think of you often!)

Anyway.. here's a pic of the lovely Eyrie House Ruins at the top...

Eyrie House

So now for a quiz...

1. Tom is one sister - Holyoke is another.. What are the names of the other 5?

2. Does anyone know why one of the "Sisters" is named "Tom"??

If you have the answers - send me a comment, cause frankly I don't have a clue and Google has been no help whatsoever...

Ok... so now.. on to the Lake.. Lashaway to be exact. I have a sister that has lived on this lake for 9 years now.. and other than the occasional boat ride I really haven't been putting that access to a lake to good use.. But yesterday that all changed.. yeah.. I went and jumped in the lake.. It seems this has been a weekend ritual for 2 of my sisters for the past few weekends but this time I got an invite and frankly, I jumped at it.. now I don't think I've been swimming in a lake since 1981, where I promptly lost my brandy-new class ring.. Boy I tell ya.. once you get over the 'ick' factor, it was heaven!! Of course after 3 weeks straight of 90+ degree weather the water is warmer than it will ever be again (approx 82 degrees)... With the aid of various floaties we bobbed lazily in the water for 3 hours, with only the ocassional break for a butt and a drink.. well ok.. after an hour or so we all got the hang of bobbing and smoking and drinking all at once.. Did I mention it was heaven? I may go back again today... and of course... I'll bring the camera!

Later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The names of the summit's of mount Tom and Holyoke were named after the men who first climed the summit. One was Elizur Holyoke, another a man who's last name was Thomas. Skinner Mountain is also another of the five sisters.