Thursday, February 09, 2006

My new morning routine...

So this Lyme Disease crap has really effected not only the stupid little angry dog (poor thing) but yours truly as well.. My whole regular morning routine of a nice quiet cup of coffee (ok... several nice quiet cups of coffee) and spin around the news sites of the internet has become a thing of the past... My new routine? Put the coffee on and get out the mayonaise, the giant doggie pill and plastic baby syringe.. While the coffee brews I do my best to get all the icky yellow powder out of the capsule and mixed into the mayonaise and then the mayonaise into the stupid little syringe... not an easy feat by any stretch of the imagination... especially pre-coffee... then comes the really fun part... catching her...

Seems she's on to me... she see's me get the mayo jar and she's off and behind... off and behind the sofa in the living room... off and behind the sleeper in the office... off and behind the chair in the kitchen... *sigh...

So.. enter cup o coffee number one... I sit and sip and surf with the syringe hidden on my desk.. eventually she gives up and comes out and over for her morning pat... only to be grabbed... forget that cup of coffee... cause now the next half hour is spent shoving mayonaise into a squirming, amazingly strong 20 pound pooch... Do you have any idea how difficult it is to hold a plasic syringe covered in greasy mayonaise with one hand and wiggly grizzly bear with the other? It ain't easy.. trust me.. and I've got the mayo stains to prove it!

Ok.. so mission accomplished.... one dose of antibiotic administered... after cleaning the remnants of the gritty greasy mess from the syringe so it will be ready for the next dose... I get myself a fresh cup of coffee and settle back in front of the computer intent on updating the blog...

Ten minutes later, I notice my lovely little Gretchy-poo is no where to be seen... Where could she be? Oh.. there she is... cowering on the bathroom rug.. uh oh... she only goes in there when she knows... she's... been.... BAD... CRAP! Sure enuf.. a search of the rest of the house uncovers a foamy yellow pile in the middle of the living room... *sigh.... back to square one...

So as my still undrunk coffee cools on the kitchen counter I clean up the mess... call the vet to get the weaker antibiotics, only to find they are closed on Thursdays... and resign myself to getting the mayo jar back out of the fridge...

Well.. maybe after this cup of coffee...

Later...

2 comments:

Chef JoAnna said...

my dog is taking pills right now too. I just get a blob of cream cheese and smoosh it all around the pill, and toss it to her. it's like a joke how easy it is. American cheese does NOT work. Had to use chevre when the cream cheese ran out. Imagine, feeding your dog chevre to bribe her to eat pills? I suppose it would work on me, too... I love chevre.

Sorry about your snowed-in-ness over there.

Laura Merwin said...

Thanks for the tip Joanna... we have switched to hiding the pill inbetween a couple of slices of chicken... it's been working like a charm... it also seems to settle her stomach so we've been able to keep her on the stronger antibiotics.. She certainly seems to feeling much better! You don't say why your pooch is taking medication, but I certainly hope your precious pup gets well soon! It's so hard when they get sick.. I keep wishing she could tell me where it hurts (or if it still does as we've run out of pain pills!)
Later...