Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Caching out...

Well.. even with all the hubbub surrounding the stupid little angry dog we still did manage to get a little fun into the weekend in the form of Geocaching... So what's Geocaching? Using a gps unit you travel to a set of supplied coordinates (from the geocache website) and find whatever it is that is hidden there... It's an actual treasure hunt! Ok.. so here's a better explanation from the Geocache website...

Armed with Mr. 9 2 Bay's brand new Legend C we headed out to collect a couple on Sunday... the first being at the Dinosaur Footprint Park on Rt. 5 in Chicopee... here's a snapshot of the stash...



What a beautiful location... that really is the nice thing about geocaching, it gets you out and about in the most unusual and beautiful places.. places that you may even have driven past hundreds of times but never bothered to stop before... like the Dino-prints... We've been past there multiple times but who's got time to stop and look at footprints? Here's a pic of why this was such a nice Sunday outing..

That's the hotel on top of Skinner Mt. that you can see on the ridge-line... We definitely will be back to this spot again...

Another we went after was at the Quabbin Tower... (note to other cacher's out there... this is where we collected not only the cache but the umpteen deer ticks... check yourself carefully after attempting this one... OH... and watch the forest peanuts... you'd think all that deer scat would have tipped us off to the deer tick problem, but no... live and learn!) We didn't get a pic of the stash on this one.. but here's the lovely view from the base of the tower...



Watch the blog for more of these... what a perfect combination.. Mr. 9 2 Bay gets to play with his new toy, while I get to photograph some areas of Western Mass that I never would have gone into before... Add a liberal dose of exercise, fresh air, and the thrill of the hunt and it's a winner!

Later...

5 comments:

Deb said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile now and I had no clue that you geocached. Currently I live in Ware as well, which makes your blog interesting to me since you talk about the area and takes pictures a lot.

My husband and I just started geocaching in August.. and had taken a winter break since we go with our now 17 month old daughter. Just this Monday we went and found two more.. Lucy Stone and Whitfield Rock. It had seemed like we had been waiting forever for it to warm up again and now it's back in the low 30's. New England weather drives me crazy!

Anyway, it's cool to know that you also geocache.

Deb

Laura Merwin said...

Hi Deb... nice to hear from you.. we too had taken quite a long break from the caching.. don't quite remember why especially seeing we enjoy it so much, but Mr. 9 2 Bay requested a new GPS for xmas and Santa provided... so we're back at it.. although we've yet to login to geocache and mark our 2 finds...

I've taken a quick spin thru your site as well.. it seems your way ahead of us with your geofinds.. we'll have to catch up!

thanks for reading... and watch for more 'finds' and pics... :)
Laura

Deb said...

My husband is trying to get a new gps too, but I haven't let him yet. We have an older Lowrance, but it works great so we don't need one yet.

The site you probably looked at is my husband's. I don't think I've mentioned geocaching on mine, but I also barely update it since I hate the layout and haven't had the time to make one for it.

Oh, I've been wondering what model camera you have. It looks exactly like our new one. We have a Konica Minolta Z6.

Deb

Laura Merwin said...

Hey again.. Actually the camera in the pic is my old Konica Minolta Z1... the pic was taken with my new camera.. the Z5... so your one step ahead me on the camera front.. Frankly tho.. I'm not impressed at all... really I'm disappointed in the image quality of the Z5 and am currently trying to figure out how to justify another new camera... If I manage it.. I'm sure you'll read about it in here! LOL.. What do you think of the 6?

Deb said...

I like it, but for me it was a big step up from a Dimage S414. I'm not sure what the differences between the Z5 and Z6 are, but we just bought it a month ago for 350, I think. It has image stabilization which was the best thing about it for us. That feature is awesome.. when we first got it I took a bunch of pictures by shaking the camera as hard as I could and they all turned out great.. well, minus the fact that they weren't taken of anything important.

We haven't used it outside yet so I'm not sure how those pictures will look, but as soon as it warms up a little more we'll find out. We mainly use it to take pictures of our daughter so we don't have really high expectations.

You could always sell one of the older cameras to help pay for the new one.

Deb