Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

So it's Thanksgiving morning.. the activity at my house?  I'm blogging in between baking brownies, the man-child is still abed, the little dog is happily running around chewing on my only pair of navy blue pantyhose, and my husband is painting the new room in the cellar in preparation for the wallpaper..  Lucky me, I'm off the hook for cooking the bird this year!  Well actually I've been off the hook for the past couple of years.. My sister and her 'other' (sorry Sarge - we love ya' but what else are we gonna call ya!) are again ponying up the bird!  Woohoo..  So today it's not Route 9 to Easthampton (via Bay and 10 of course), but Route 9 to Worcester..  I'll be sure to blog that opposite version of my commute, you can be sure..
 
Anyway..  the last couple of Thanksgivings with Sarge and Jeannette have been interesting to say the least.. the first year it was dinner at 2pm.. yeah.. I think we ate somewhere around 5pm..  blame it on the oven..  it was previously untried and who knew it ran somewhere around 25 degrees too cool.. dinner was wonderful anyway.. albiet late..  can you say "slllooowww roasted!"..  and last year?  Well last year as all of us gathered around the oven to give the bird that final "is it done" test, Jeannette remarked how little breast meat the turkey seems to have.. looking closely at the nicely browned poultry I noticed - Huh?  They had put the bird in upside-down!  Oh well.. again the bird was still delicious..  so when I got my annual invite this year I of course asked what version of the bird are we having this year?  Late or Inverted?  My sister replied.. "It will be perfect.. we bought an oven thermometer and the butterball with the pop-up timer - no guessing this year when it will be done and which end is up.."   Yeah.. right..  my money is on the thermometer being wrong..  Either way..  it's sure to be a great day..  good food.. good music (courtesy of that musically inclined brother-in-law of mine Fiddlin' Ed).. and good company.. 
 
Later...
Oh.. and I still be cooking a bird - rotissiere style - thank you Ron Popeil.  I'm not in the habit of buying things off an infomercial - but apparently my in-laws are - couple of years ago it was Showtime rotissiere's for everyone!  And thank goodness..  this thing is AWESOME - a couple of Xmas' ago I was expecting more family than available oven room so I did one bird in the oven and one bird in the Showtime..  there was NO competition..  well.. there was competition..  at the dinner table as everyone fought over the Showtime bird..  yummy!

No comments: