Friday, October 07, 2005

Gravy in the wine or Why I hate women's pants.

It was a great nite in Western Mass last nite and I got to participate. The Annual Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame dinner was held on top of Mount Tom at the Log Cabin and my dear old friend "The Queen" spotted me a free ticket... Love it... a $125 a plate dinner for the cost of a trip up the mountain... can't be beat... I even ponied up for some new pants... Women's pants at that...

Now.. I'm strictly a jeans and cargo's kinda girl and on top of that I always buy men's jeans and cargos.. that's right MENS... Why you may ask... because of their sizing system... LOVE IT... you walk in, find your waist size, find your inseam size, take them to the register, take them home, put them on, and they FIT! PERFECTLY! Women's pants come in three variations... petite, with a 29 inch inseam... regular, with a 31-32 inch inseam, and tall, with a 34 inch inseam... Me? I'm a 30 inseam... yeah... so petites are 1 inch highwaters on me.. and regulars need to be hemmed an inch or two... What a pain... so I found a great pair of brown mini-plaid women's pants for the party and proceeded to spend the evening stepping on the hems all evening even wearing a decently high heel... Thanks so much... so now if I'm gonna wear them again, I've either gotta hem them or find a seamstress to do it for me.. I'm thinking seamstress... you know... isn't this all backwards? Do men really care if their pants fit perfectly? Women will go through 50 pairs of pants till they find the perfect ones... and yet the men get the inches sizing system... life, and apparently the clothing industry, is cruel.

Anyway.. dinner last nite... it was a lovely affair - seafood manicotti in lobster sauce, lemon sorbet, petite filet mignon in a demiglaze served over wilted spinach and gorganzola grits, and a chocolate rasberry confections for dessert. Lovely right? It was... for everyone at my table... by the end of the meal everyone was watching ME eat... Why? Because I'm me and if something is gonna happen, it'll happen to me..

The manicotti, it was lovely, but they dumped an entire handful of red peppers on mine... did I mention, I hate peppers? Everyone else got 3 or 4 pieces of this hideous garnish, I got an entire scoop... great... let's just pollute the entire dish... thanks so much!

Then came the coffee and the lemon sorbet... which was very good... once I pulled the floating green thing outta my cup! *sigh...

The filet... wonderfully tender and juicy... really juicy... frankly it was still bleeding... I had ordered 'well-done'... so I sent it back... got a fresh cut and when that appeared and I cut into it, people two tables away heard the moanful 'mmooo' as I sliced into the the even redder piece of meat... so.. defeated, I ate the edges and left the cold red blob on it's little bed of spinach to die an unnaturally slow death.

Dessert... eehh.. nothing out of place that I could see, but I'm just not a fan of polluting a lovely dark chocolate with raspberry sugar syrup and kiwi...

And to finish off the meal I grabbed my last few sips of wine... noticed something not quite right, and spotted the giant glob of brown gravy floating in my Chardonnay... damn...

Still being thirsty, I reached for my previously untouched water glass... as I reached across the table - the one fly for miles - flew into the room, exhausted and parched from it's long flight in from Mississippi, did a triple back-flip and dove straight into my glass as we all watched in amazement.

I took my thirsty, long panted and still hungry self out the door and went home. At least I could get home... the one other woman waiting for her valet parked car may still be there... as the valet pulled the burgandy Intrepid to the curb for her, I heard her say... "But I have a bamboo colored Lexus".. HA.. maybe it isn't just me!
Later....

No comments: