Friday, January 12, 2007

Because someone got blocked...

My Title on this post from a couple days ago got my sister blocked from the blog... so I've deleted the old story and readded it here..

So you knew it was inevitable... I got into it with one of my fellow associates at Wally World... Let me set this up for you... Saturday was wicked busy... people everywhere... there are huge clearance sales on clothing going on, so the fitting rooms are packed with scoffers looking for deals... and the phones are ringing off the hook... I had been on duty for 2 hours and still hadn't made it away from the desk to check my 'zone'... Well.. the phone rings and someon wants the infants dept..... so I page for an Associate in or around infants... no answer... I page again... no answer.... So... being the nice person I am.. I ask the caller what they are looking for... "a crib".. great.. the fartherest corner of the store... so... I stick her on hold, along with the 4 other lines that are on hold... go find Fran from Men's to cover the phones for me... and head off at a trot for infants... as I round the corner and head down action alley.. 20 feet from the Infants department.. what do I see... an associate slowly adding shirts to a rack... WFT! She was freakin 20 feet away and she couldnt take the call! Apparently, according to her... "This is the GIRLS department, Infants is NOT my job!" GGRRR.... So I pulled in all the meager supervisory training I've had... When she tried to change the subject to how hard she had it 2 weeks ago, I cut her off at the pass and said "I'm not talking about what happened 2 weeks ago, I'm talking about what JUST happened... Let's stay on topic.. shall we?" When she again said "it's not my job!" I used "Well, I am new here.. and maybe it isn't your job, Management should be able to tell me who is supposed to be doing what, I'll just ask the assistant manager and she should be able to give me the information on EXACTLY what people are supposed to be doing!" Her reply... "She'll just tell you that it's YOUR job!" my reply... maybe so, but it can't hurt to ask, I am kind of confused.. after all, I was told to page using "in or AROUND" the different departments, and if 20 feet away isn't "around" then I need someone to explain exactly what they mean by "around" because to me... 20 FEET is AROUND... When she tried to argue further I'd had enough and went with "That's ok, I'll talk to the Manager about it.. don't worry about it... I'll let you know what I find out tho... OH.. wait... maybe that's the manager's job... either way.. I'll make sure you get the same info I do, so there aren't any other misunderstandings..." So.. that was the end of it... she stomped off with a "whatever"... I haven't decided if I'm really gonna bring this up with management.... I have a feeling I got my answer on Sunday, when this same associate showed up at the desk,, grabbed the returns for INFANTS, looked at me and said "I'll take these to the infants department, is there anything else that needs to go over there?" Biting back the urge to say "Don't worry about it after all, didn't you say Infants wasn't your job!"... and instead I handed her some booties and said "yes, this needs to go too, thanks!" Apology accepted... for now!

No comments: